15 May A regional strategy for climate change adaptation and mitigation
In order to create a regional strategy for climate change adaptation and mitigation, in 2017 CATIE gave life to the Latin American and Caribbean Platform for Sustainable Livestock Intensification, which was financed by New Zealand, Fontagro and CATIE. In 2019, some of the most relevant outputs of this initiative include:
- Document on the state of the art of research and innovation for the sustainable intensification of livestock production systems and climate change adaptation/mitigation in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of current livestock research programs in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC).
- Coordinated regional agenda for research and development of sustainable intensive livestock systems in the context of climate change and a plan for its implementation.
- Regional database on sustainable livestock production technologies, practices and innovations, including methodologies and approaches to adapt and mitigate climate change in LAC, as well as people working on these issues.
- Local and regional events to share information with stakeholders on livestock systems and low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission technologies for climate change adaptation and mitigation.
- Document on training needs for capacity building in the sustainable intensification of animal production systems in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Training materials for workshops.
- Online courses on topics relevant to the interests of platform members focused on sustainable intensification of livestock systems
- Inventory of existing and new policies for the promotion of sustainable livestock intensification in LAC
- Summary of policies for the promotion of intensive livestock systems with low greenhouse gas emissions in different countries of the Americas
- Drafting of five proposals and a concept note to give continuity to the actions carried out by this project